Monday, April 2, 2012


What must it feel like to be black, male and 18?

Last Wednesday I was on my way to LGA for a flight to Chicago. When I got off of the Grand Central Parkway (while NOT on airport property) I came around a corner to find a NYC cop standing in the middle of the road. He pointed me over to the side, I know I had not done anything wrong, but was not sure. Opened my window and the first thing the cop said was "Don't worry, you did nothing wrong, we are just doing spot checks, show me your ID.) HUH, WHOA, WHAT THE FUCK!! I had a flight to catch and fighting every instinct I had to say "NO, you may not see my ID," I coughed it up.

I'm middle aged, relatively non-descript white guy and I was too afraid of the results to stand up for what I know are my rights. How do you think a young, poor (or filthy rich for that matter) black man would feel and react?

What is the big deal of a policeman asking for my ID?  Seems pretty clear to me. Every little erosion of the constitutional protections we once enjoyed hurt us all.

nuf said.


No comments:

Post a Comment