Wednesday, February 6, 2013

People proudly say "I am a college graduate." Once a graduate always a graduate, the same is true with Boy Scouts. Once an Eagle Scout always an Eagle Scout. Sort of.

Following the Supreme Court's 2000 ruling allowing bigotry by the Boy Scouts of America,  I returned my Eagle award, pin and other paraphernalia to the national organization along with a letter explaining my belief that the organization did not practice the values it claims to hold. At that time, I  renounced my support of the organization and renounced any history I might have had with the association. I received a pathetic form reply offering no defense of their bias.  Last week I began to hope that my, and many others, efforts might have begun to sink in. I hoped that the BSA was coming to see the light, not that they were just responding to pressure from financial supporters. Today's (non)action by the organization shows exactly how the BSA works, they do not act based on moral right and wrong, Rather they seem to make all of their decisions based on what is only in their best financial interests.

So, once a college graduate, always a college graduate. But I am proud to say that I was, but am no longer, an Eagle Scout.

nuf said

No comments:

Post a Comment